Saturday, May 17, 2014

Aloha from Oahu

Hi rant readers!

Writing to you from my hotel room in Waikiki Beach, Hawaii. I flew in this morning for the World Indigenous People's Conference in Education (WIPC:E) - a triennial conference bringing Indigenous education practitioners and activists together from across the globe. We're presenting a seminar on racism, discrimination, cultural respect and lateral violence in the academy, and as well as attending many other sessions by some extraordinary people, I will also be going on a cultural tour to a bunch of women's sacred sites across the island, seeing a bunch of performances by the host community and everywhere else, and generally having an amazing an inspiring time. So for the next week or so, expect this blog and any social media I tap into (should wifi be available) to read like a bit of a travel log.  I will also be writing my final article for Tracker whilst I am here and am certain that the inspiration will come from the event and the location. Fingers crossed!

I've previously written about how when I first went to a WIPC:E back in 2005, it was a life-changing experience. My eyes were opened a hell of a lot and indeed, I credit the experience with further radicalising my views. Simply put, to have points of comparison from across the globe thrust in front of me for the first time ever awakened something. The perspective that you don't get when you stay in Australia and are fed countless lines about "black armband history" and the like. It's also why I have a life-long love affair going with Aotearoa. 

So waiting to see what the Native Hawaiians have in store. I am certain it will be extraordinary. Tomorrow's the registration, then on Sunday we have the opening, and we will be meeting up with other education unionists for dinner that night via Education International. Then the sessions start. A busy few days ahead.

As a side note, this is the first time I have been to the US. Not sure what to make of Waikiki Beach, to be honest. So many designer boutiques that I'm finding it quite oppressive, and I really dislike the tipping system. I've only had to deal with it once thusfar, but it just reinforced why I am such a fan of our nearly $17ph minimum wage in Australia. I found myself giving quite generous gratuities because their base rate is so low and they probably have to deal with utter bastards all day. The service was attentive and exquisite but I still find the concept rather horrible. The weather has been wonderful, and when I saw Waikiki beach with the thousands of people on the sand, I couldn't stop thinking that I was actually looking at Newcastle sand or Port Kembla sand, as proud locals of both places have told me this is the case (Google won't let me confirm though :( ). Waiting to see how this place grows on me, so any tips regarding slightly left-of-centre activities for a ranting black feminist to embark upon will be gratefully received.

I did find this, however. For those playing at home, meet Red Velvet Cheesecake. Just phwoar! And on that note, signing off with a fork in my hand ready to roll :D


 

3 comments:

  1. I felt exactly the same way about Waikiki. Get out of Honolulu and go to North Shore if you can. Or go to Diamond Head, or hike to Mānoa Falls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous! I hope you get everything you want from the conference and more. I also hope you get as much cheesecake as you need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My cousin and her daughter are over there at the conference! My cousin’s daughter is 12 (or 13) and she gave a presentation. Fantastic opportunity for her and so proud of her.

    ReplyDelete